Brrr...the leaves are starting to change colour.
It is almost time to get your winter woolies on. It's not quite frosty but there is a chill in the air. Layers, scarves and a big coat are the fashion essentials for this time of year.
There are numerous ways to wear a brooch on outdoor wear such as on the collar, lapel, or shoulder. A brooch can be used to keep a scarf in place or worn on a hat for decoration.
A vintage brooch can transform your everyday coat into something spectacularly fashionable, fun or daring. Accessories do not need to be big, flashy or expensive to have an impact.
Chose a style that reflects your fashion personality, be it classic, whimsical, artistic or trendy.
What makes a good coat brooch?
Size, style and material are the most important for fashion points but for practicality a coat brooch needs to be secure, not get caught on other commuters, bags or rucksack straps as well as be weather resistant.
- Choose botanical, abstract or figurative styles that are smooth or rounded.
- Avoid spikey shapes or glued on stones. Choose claw set rhinestones and pearls can take the weather and remain intact after daily commutes.
- To start conversations why not select a popular charismatic megafauna like the silver toned giraffe brooch or choose a golden leopard?
- A tiny pin can also add a touch of sparkle to a dreary lapel.
Why choose a vintage brooch?
- Wearing a vintage brooch is a wonderful way to add a touch of timeless elegance and individuality to your outfit.
- It is a sustainable fashion choice that contributes to the circular economy and reduces the demand for new, mass-produced items and makes a positive impact on the environment.
- Vintage brooches reflect the attention to detail of the design and choice of quality materials of an earlier time. Care was taken in their manufacture and many items were handmade.
A vintage brooch is the perfect way to lift a coat, jumper or jacket by adding colour, shine and sparkle
So, bundle up and remember that a brooch is a wonderful way to turn last year's coat into this season's favourite.
Wear a vintage brooch and showcase your personal style this winter.
All errors and omissions are author’s own.
Copyright Audra Daws-Knowles 2023