Did you know that the Eros statue in Piccadilly Circus is not a statue of the god of sensual love but is a representation of his brother Anteros, the god of selfless love?
Celebrate the generosity of others with this 1950s brooch replica of the famous London statue.
The Shaftsbury Memorial Fountain was erected in 1892 to commemorate the philanthropic works of Anthony Ashley Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftsbury. His greatest achievement as a Victorian politician was the Ten Hours Act 1833 ensuring children under thirteen could not work more than nine hours per day and should go to school. He tried to make it law that anyone aged eighteen and younger but was voted down. He is also well known for his work to humanise the treatment of mental health sufferers in lunatic asylums and madhouses.
Sculpted by Afred Gilbert to portray "reflective and mature love, as opposed to Eros or Cupid, the frivolous tyrant."
Following the statue’s unveiling there were numerous complaints. Some felt it was sited in a vulgar part of town, and others felt that it was too sensual as a memorial for a famously sober and respectable Earl. Some of the objections were tempered by renaming the statue as The Angel of Christian Charity, which was the nearest approximation that could be invented in Christian terms for the role Anteros played in the Greek pantheon. However, the name never became widely known and the statue is commonly referred to as Eros, the god of sensual love. Perfect for its Soho neighbourhood.
The statue has been removed to protect it during the construction of the underground, WWII, and for various repairs.
These brooches have never been worn. They were cast and manufactured in Wales after WWII and could be seen as a commemoration of the VE day celebrations in Piccadilly and other parts of London. Eros or Anteros, this historic representation of love and joy would anchor the sentiment of that historic celebration of peace in London and the world.
Silver tone metal.
4 x 5 cm at longest and widest.
Excellent vintage condition. Unworn.
Original 1950s design made in Wales.